Thursday, August 30, 2012

Workout Thursday 30/8/12

Thursday means cardio, and today I (with a couple of other fitness geeks) did a slight variation of the 'Killer Cardio' session.  Basically it's the same as the one previously mentioned here, with one exercise added before the sprints - farmer's sprints (a modification of the farmer's walk).  I find I really benefit from doing this with other people.  After the second set I was just about to give up, but the encouragement of others is not to be underestimated.  This is one of those routines where at the end you feel like throwing up (and to be honest I came close), but after an hour or so you feel as high as a kite!

Cardio/Power

Warm-up

15 minute brisk walk to gym.

Sprint Session

5 sets with a two minute rest between sets.

Elevated spiderman pushups x 10.
Plate push - 30kg 2 x 20 metres (plates are wrapped up in a yoga mat, which adds more resistance against the gym floor).
Barbell squat - 40kg x 10.
Farmer's sprints - 2 x 20kg dumbells, 2 x 20 metres.
Sprints - 4 x 20 metres.

I added a short torsonator set at the end just for a bit of extra core work.  My basic variation of twist, squat-press, squat-hand-to-hand, clean&press, knee kicks.

Warm-down

15 minute brisk walk home.
15 minutes foam roller.
20 minutes static stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment