Saturday, October 20, 2012

Workout - Saturday 20/10/12

My son was off playing cricket this morning, the parenting taxi was driven by my wife.  I was home looking after my two younger children and we were off to the playground!  No other opportunity for a workout today, so an impromptu playground workout was the order of the day.  Apart from the two monsters (I mean that most affectionately!), I took with me a skipping rope and resistance cord.  Playgrounds are ready-made exercise stations, with a host of great options for strength and conditioning.  It's funny, at one stage my daughter and one of her friends were laughing at me as I was doing pistols.  Our friend said to me, "You can't do exercises here, it's a playground!"  And me, king of the comebacks, replied, "Oh yeah?"  But then, not to be outdone by a sassy 5 year old, added, "What are you doing when you play in the playground?"  She said, "Playing!"  "But what are you doing when you're playing?"  And her reply was a happy, "Exercising!"

Not the playground I used, but, as you can see, there are lots of  possibilities!

Warm-up

Skipping for 5 minutes.
Joint mobilization and dynamic stretching.

Playground workout

Superset

3 sets

Shoulder rotations (rotator cuff pulls) with resistance cord x 10 reps per side.
Face pulls (elbows down) x 10 reps.
Face pulls (elbows up) x reps.

Superset

3 sets

Jumps up to beam (box jumps), then squat jumps x 10 reps.
Incline pull-ups x 10 reps.

Decline push-ups - feet suspended on unstable chain ladder - 3 sets x 10 reps.

Pistols - 3 sets x 10 reps per side.

Father's carry (large 2 year old - approx. 14kg - on shoulders) 1 km.

Warm down

Foam roller 15 minutes (heaven!)
Static stretching for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment